To pin a post in a group:
- From the group, find the post you'd like to pin
- Click and select Pin Post
Note: If a post is already pinned to the top of the group, you'll be asked if you'd like to unpin it.
To create a poll:
- From any group, click More, then select Create Poll
- Enter your question and click Add Poll Options then Add an option... for each option to enter answers for group members to choose from
- Click Post to share it with the group
Note: You can allow anyone to add options to the poll.
To create a group doc:
- Click More at the top of your group
- Click Create Doc
- Give your Doc a title. As you write your Doc, you can format it by clicking
- Click Save
Keep in mind all members of a group can view a group doc. You can prevent other members of the group from editing the doc by scrolling to the bottom and de-selecting Allow group members to edit this document.
To edit your notification settings for a group, go to a group and click Notifications in the top right.
From here, you can choose:
- All Posts: You'll get notifications any time members post in the group
- Highlights: You'll get notifications for posts with lots of likes and comments, and coworkers' posts
- Off: You won't get notifications when members post
Note: If a group reaches 250 members or more, its notification settings will be set to Highlights by default. Individual members of the group can still change their own notification settings.
You can unfollow a group to stop seeing the group posts in your News Feed. If you don't want to be in a group, you can leave the group. Keep in mind that you may not be able to rejoin a group depending on the group's privacy setting.
To unfollow or leave a group:
- From the group you want to unfollow or leave, click Joined
- Select Unfollow Group or Leave Group
Note: If you leave a group that you're an admin of, members of the group will be offered the admin role.
If you're the group admin, and there is no-one else in the group, then leaving the group will delete it.
Additionally, in Workplace Premium communities, community admins are able to delete any group.
To delete a group in Workplace Premium:
- Click in the top right of Workplace and click Company Dashboard
- Click Groups and search for the group you want to delete
- Click and select Delete Group
- Enter the name of the group in the box and click Delete Group
Note: Deleting a group can't be undone. Once a group is deleted, all posts, members and files will be permanently deleted.
Workplace admins can upload or change cover photos for their groups.
To upload a cover photo:
- On your group page, click Upload Photo to upload a photo from your computer or click Choose Photo to choose from your Workplace photos or your group's photos
- Click Save Changes
To change an existing cover photo, hover over the photo and click Change Group Photo.
Keep in mind that your cover photo must be at least 399 pixels wide and 150 pixels tall. For best results, choose a group cover photo that's 828 pixels wide and 315 pixels tall.
Note: If an admin doesn't upload an image, group members may be able to add a cover photo themselves.
Formatting posts with markdown can help you structure and highlight important parts of your content by giving you the option to use bold, italics, quotations, embedded links and bulleted and numbered lists in your text. To add formatting with markdown to a group post:
- From your Newsfeed, write your post and click Format with Markdown.
- Format your post. Click Formatting Help to view the following formatting options, and click Post when done.
Note: You will see a preview of the post as you type it.
Formatting posts in groups can help you structure and highlight your content with bold, italics, quotations, headers, embedded links and bulleted and numbered lists. To format a group post:
- Hover over in the top left of your post.
- Format your post by using the headers, bulleted and numbered lists, quotations and coding options. You can insert embedded links or use bold or italics on your text by selecting the words you'd like to format and clicking on the desired option.
- Click Post.
Keep in mind that you can also format your posts using markdown.
If you're an admin of a group, you can archive the group instead of deleting it. When a group is archived, it won't appear in search results to non-members, and no new members can join the group.
Archive a Group
To archive a group:
- Go to the group you want to archive and click below the cover photo
- Select Archive Group
- Click Confirm
Unarchive a Group
To unarchive a group:
- Go to the group you want to unarchive and click below the cover photo
- Select Unarchive Group
- Click Confirm
Posts in groups with fewer than 9,000 people are marked as Seen by after group members have seen them. If a group reaches 9,000 members or more, you’ll no longer see who’s seen posts.
For messages and posts that have been seen, the number that appears next to the post indicates the number of people in the group who have seen the post. Anyone who can view the group post can see the Seen by count. If you'd like to see who's seen the post, hover over the post and a list of names will appear.
Note: If you're using Workplace Premium and you have a group with fewer than 9,000 members in which Seen by is not available, please contact Workplace support.
You can create a post in a group and schedule it for publication in the future. Keep in mind that all times for scheduling correspond to your current time zone.
Schedule a Post
To schedule a post:
- Start creating your post at the top of the group.
- Click next to Post and select Custom or Suggested. If you've selected Custom, choose the date and time when you want the post to be published.
- Click Schedule.
Manage Scheduled Posts
To reschedule, edit or delete a scheduled post:
- Click See Posts next to at the top of the group
- Click next to the post you want to amend
- Click Edit Post, Delete Post, Reschedule Post or Post Now
To see a history of all edits to a scheduled post, click View Edit History.
Note: You can schedule a post to be shared between 30 minutes and one month from when you create the post.